Website: Children's Harnesses by Elaine, Inc. www.childharness.ca
and my business blog: Children's Harnesses by Elaine, Inc.

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

My Boys Can eat what I eat. Not being a double standard parent

I've always been bothered by the expression "do what I say, not what I do". I didn't hear it a lot growing up thank goodness, but when I did I always thought it was ridiculous. The divorced marriage counselor, the overweight dietitian, the chain-smoking medical intern. Do what I say, not what I do.

I'm not a double standard person and I certainly wasn't going to be a double standard parent.

This was easy of course when the boys were very small. After all, a diet of breastmilk doesn't call for a lot of variety. But when they were older and teeth were visible and diets expanded to suit their growing bodies, there was potential for two sets of rules around food; one for my husband and I and one for them. Not the direction I wanted to go. I also didn't want the boys to develop any "food issues" that could lead to skewed perceptions and stresses and insecurities around eating. As far as I was concerned there were no bad foods, just bad amounts.

I've always had a sweet tooth, I've always eaten when I was hungry and I've always eaten whatever I wanted. None of that was going to change just because the kids were around. On top of that I was preparing for Ironman Canada so my calorie intake was impressive and constant. How could I tell the boys not to eat a row of cookies or a bunch of chocolate before dinner when that's exactly what Mommy was doing? 

Not being a double standard parent AND being a Yes parent (see my earlier post about being a Yes parent) went hand in hand rather well:
  • when I ate, the boys ate. No matter what time I was eating I always offered the same food to the boys. At night after a ride, mid-afternoon after our rest, while we were making dinner, it didn't matter. If I was eating I was also offering the same food to them.
  • no restrictions were placed on food. The boys would see me eating all sorts of things at any hour of the day. Any type of food was fair game and they had the same opportunities.
  • most of the time, they would have a little of what I was having to "keep me company". But if they needed a proper meal, I would have them put their treats out first so they knew they could have them later.
And the result of doing this for years? Amazing. Neither one of my boys over-eats. They stop when they are full and since they eat the healthy things first, the stopping usually happens after a small bite of cookie or a few spoonfuls of ice cream. No foods are coveted over others. Since there were never any restrictions related to food and the boys always had access to whatever they wanted (though I would control the AMOUNT they had), things like chips and chocolate or cookies never developed the currency value of gold to be stolen and hoarded when Mommy wasn't looking. Even now when I'm eating these things and offer them to the boys they are more likely than not to say No Thanks.

In our house, food is not a bargaining tool. It doesn't control our schedules. It doesn't dominate our thoughts and emotions. It doesn't control our behaviour.

In our house, Food knows it's place. 

5 comments:

  1. I'd love to see you comment on the women that fix a different thing for each kid... allowing (encouraging) the kids in their refusal to eat what everybody at the table is eating...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Stone, Thanks so much for checking in. I hear ya and I'm totally against that sort of catering. The boys will try that with me every once in a while and I always tell them "I'm not running a restaurant here! This is for dinner and if you don't want it, don't eat!" I have a friend who will make 3 SEPARATE breakfasts for her 3 kids then wonder why she runs out of time in the mornings...just crazy in my opinion! E

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Elaine I totely agree with you on the do as i say not do as I see. I think that any parent who usees this is setting a dubble standard for there children I always had problems with this because i caught on and I decided to fight it and i still do at 19 years of age. my father would cuss his headf off in fron of me and would tell me that i wasnt do to the same because he was an adult and he was beter than me. lets ay that i started cussing by the fift grade pretty freely i had used them all to many times to count. i learded from my fathers mistakes ad when i dont want kids to do something i first set a propper exampel by first not doing it my self.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi FreedomFigherLoos, Good for you for mentioning swearing. It's another excellent example where parents try to have a double standard but it doesn't work. My husband and I do not swear so it's never been an issue for us but when my oldest was in Junior Kindergarten, he came home and said the 'F' word. I was horrified and told the teacher immediately. She said she wasn't surprised based on the language she heard from some of the 4 yr olds in her class. Can you imagine? Little kids using words like that. They've heard it from someone! E

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Elaine Yes I can imagine because i have hered a two year old say the n word rerpeatedly "come on you n " or " I own you n" it is a decraise these parents are lazy and dont have no buisness rasing kids. I never cuss around children or bring it up.

    ReplyDelete