Website: Children's Harnesses by Elaine, Inc. www.childharness.ca
and my business blog: Children's Harnesses by Elaine, Inc.

Thursday, January 20, 2011

My Boys Can Focus. The benefits of limiting the number of toys for your Toddler

I guess I'm the type of parent who would be considered a nightmare by the Toy Industry. Let me explain. 

When I had children, I knew what I didn't want.

I didn't want a kid who couldn't look at something for more than 5 seconds before throwing it aside and demanding something new. I wanted my kids to learn how to spend time with a New Thing. Examine it. Explore it. Be interested in it. Use all their senses to figure out as much as they could about it. Push it. Roll it. Drop it and pick it up again.

I wanted my kids to have an attention span longer than a millisecond, to be able to focus their attention, because in this day and age of over stimulation the importance of the power to concentrate seems to be overlooked. 

When they were babies, the first thing I did was stop the flood of toys right at the front door. 
  • be firm with family. Everyone wants to give something to express their joy and happiness over the arrival of the new baby but if you're not careful, you'll soon be swamped with toys you don't need or want. I've been in homes that looked like a day care centre; toys everywhere and no evidence at all that adults lived there too.
  • be specific with your requests. The last thing you want to do is hurt people's feelings. Have a list ready of things you actually need, including favours for yourself such as providing a casserole for dinner, coming over to spend time with the baby while you sleep, or doing some grocery shopping for you.
  • be consistent. You'll have to go through the same routine with your family each birthday and Christmas but it will be worth it, otherwise your place will look like a toy warehouse. Also, I always told my family not to worry, I'd be delighted to spend their money later on things the boys needed. At that age, you're not going to get two summers wear out of the same set of clothes...
I don't remember having specific toys for the boys when they were babies. Anything I gave them was new to them whether it was a stuffed animal or a plastic block. They would sit on my lap and take as much time as they wanted to explore whatever it was they were handling. As long as they were interested in it, shaking, dropping and looking for it, they had it with them. Even when it seemed like they were finished, I would handle the toy next and we'd spend some more time exploring it together. This was working at their speed, taking their amount of time and extending it a little bit to establish those patterns of taking TIME with something.

When they were older and sitting on their own and crawling, they had a wider selection of toys but it was still a small amount by many parent's standards. Nothing was battery operated, their imaginations had full rein.
  • the most played-with toys were little because they fit in little hands. The small Tonka trucks were played with for hours on end every day FOR YEARS. They never seemed to run out of ideas when playing with those trucks because their imaginations were in the driver's seat. 
  • building blocks were a different toy every time
  • they had space to play. The hallway was the racetrack, the pantry was their hiding place. They weren't restricted to a certain area of the basement.
Rightly or wrongly, I successfully managed to strictly control the number and type of toys that entered our house. It was still always two big cardboard boxes filled to the top when everything was put away, but compared to one lady's house where she had floor to ceiling shelving with labeled storage boxes full of toys from end to end, I did pretty good. 

And the boys? Both have exceptional attention spans. The 6 year old will sit with a 20 page Lego manual and patiently build his jets step-by-step following the pictures. This may take an hour or longer, depending on the model. The 7 year old will sit at the breakfast table and do all his homework at once. I can't take full credit for their ability to concentrate but suffice to say, I'm THRILLED that I had a hand in teaching them how to spend time and really focus on one thing at a time. 

Less Is More. Which doesn't make me at all popular with the Toy Industry.

    2 comments:

    1. Elaine i know is kinda of off the topic at hand here but i have an idea that you might like. Have you ever thought of sewing reflective strips in to the chest and shoulder straps of you child harness or at least makeing is an option for customers this would make it easer for motorest to see children in low light conditions such as in parking lots or along city streets in the evening. This is just an idea that i would add to my harness if i made one what do you think of it.

      ReplyDelete
    2. Hi FreedomFigherLoos, Yes, I have done a lot with reflective tape and I have made vest harnesses (with no leads) for my boys to wear when riding their bikes in the evenings. The reflective tape is extremely expensive so I have not yet decided how to offer it to my customers. The tape cannot be sewn to the shoulder straps or chest straps at the back because the straps are adjustable. When the harness is made bigger to fit over the growing child, the reflective tape would feed to the inside. E

      ReplyDelete